55-Hour Pavement Operation and Traffic Switch
This short video documents a January 2021 highlight of the I-5 North Corridor HOV improvements – a 55-hour-long, round-the-clock operation January 8-11 to complete final sections of pavement needed to switch Southbound I-5 traffic onto newly constructed pavement between Empire Avenue and Magnolia Boulevard. Crews completed the Southbound I-5 traffic switch before 5 a.m. January 11.
This Week’s Construction Activities and Closures
- I-5 Construction Advisory – Magnolia Blvd to Buena Vista Street, September 24-October 1, 2021
- I-5 Construction Advisory – Magnolia Blvd to Buena Vista Street, September 17-24, 2021
- I-5 Construction Advisory – Magnolia Blvd to Buena Vista Street, September 10-17, 2021
- Burbank Blvd Bridge Project Gallery – July 2021
- Burbank Blvd Bridge Project Gallery – May-June 2021
- Burbank Blvd. Bridge Project - Gallery - January 2021
Schedule: Construction started mid-2014; construction started at Burbank Boulevard in 2019 after Empire Avenue opened
Open to Traffic: Empire Avenue interchange opened in 2019; Burbank Boulevard opens in 2021; HOV lanes open in 2022
Cost: $355 million
- Construct High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV, or carpool) lanes in each direction of I-5 between Magnolia Boulevard and Buena Vista Street.
- Construct a new interchange at I-5 and Empire Avenue.
- Elevate the railroad at Buena Vista St and San Fernando Boulevard to eliminate the street-level crossing.
- Realign and elevate the railroad adjacent to Empire Avenue.
- Reconstruct (remove and replace) the Burbank Boulevard overcrossing with a wider structure and realign the on- and off-ramps.
- Improve the intersection of San Fernando Boulevard/Victory Place at Lincoln Street.
To view video of the Demolition Livestream, click here.
Magnolia Boulevard to Buena Vista Street
View the project map
The increasing use of Hollywood Burbank Airport, construction of the Empire Center at the former Lockheed site, and multiple other factors have produced impacts on both regional and local transportation networks, requiring measures to improve freeway access, efficiency and integration of a multimodal transportation system. This project was designed with an awareness that traffic exiting I-5 in Burbank was forced to use circuitous routes through residential and local city streets to get to the airport and other destinations, increasing traffic congestion.
This project will enhance I-5 in Burbank and improve traffic circulation by adding carpool lanes in each direction between Magnolia Boulevard and Buena Vista Street, constructing a new interchange at I-5 and Empire Avenue, reconstructing the Burbank Boulevard overcrossing and realigning ramps, elevating the railroad at Buena Vista Street and San Fernando Boulevard and adjacent to Empire Avenue, and improving the intersection at San Fernando Boulevard/Victory Place and Lincoln Street. The project will relieve congestion, improve traffic flow and provide easy access to Hollywood Burbank Airport and shopping centers.
Construction is expected to be completed by early 2022, weather permitting. The project cost is $355 million.
BURBANK BOULEVARD CLOSURE
What improvements are planned for the Burbank Boulevard I-5 bridge?
The Burbank Boulevard overcrossing will be lengthened to accommodate the new carpool lanes, and the on- and off-ramps will be reconfigured. Also, the overcrossing will be widened to accommodate more street lanes, bike lanes in both directions, and a wider sidewalk.
How long will the Burbank Boulevard construction take?
Burbank Boulevard will be closed to traffic for approximately 14 to 16 months, weather permitting.
Will the Burbank Boulevard overcrossing and Empire Avenue interchange be under construction at the same time?
No. The Empire Avenue interchange opened to traffic September 30, 2019, and is fully operational. The Burbank Boulevard overcrossing closed to traffic in early 2020.
What will happen to the off-ramps when Caltrans is reconstructing the Burbank Boulevard overcrossing?
The northbound I-5 off-ramp to eastbound Burbank Boulevard will remain open except for some limited closures. The southbound I-5 off-ramp to westbound Burbank Boulevard was closed in October 2019 and reopened in a temporary alignment in 2020. The northbound off-ramp to westbound Burbank Boulevard and the southbound off-ramp to eastbound Burbank Boulevard were closed at the beginning of October 2019. Detours are provided.
Will motorists still be able to access the commercial district?
Yes. Seven other freeway crossings in Burbank will be available while Burbank Boulevard is closed. Caltrans worked closely with the City of Burbank to develop effective detours for each project phase. Traffic will be monitored and adjustments will be made as necessary.