The following work will occur during daytime hours unless otherwise noted. The schedule is weather-permitting and subject to change.
➤ Construction Activities
Magnolia Boulevard to Buena Vista Street
Northbound I-5 between Magnolia Boulevard and Empire Avenue: Crews are constructing pavement. Some work occurs at night.
I-5 at Burbank Boulevard: Crews are placing falsework (temporary support) for bridge construction. Crews are constructing concrete barriers at on- and off-ramps, and excavating in the median. Some work occurs at night.
Buena Vista Street at I-5: Crews are installing cables under the I-5 bridge, and doing pavement work on Buena Vista Street between Winona Avenue and the Northbound I-5 on- and off-ramps.
I-5 between Empire Avenue and Cohasset Street: Crews are constructing the irrigation system.
➤ Closures & Detours
Magnolia Boulevard to Buena Vista Street
*** NEW: Southbound I-5 Complete Freeway Closure at Night: All lanes on Southbound I-5 will be closed at night, starting on the night of Thursday, June 3, and continuing until June 19, between Empire Avenue and Magnolia Boulevard.
The following schedule is subject to change and will be updated:
- The schedule calls for each closure to start at 11 p.m. and end by 5 a.m., with the following exceptions: On Friday nights, the closure will start at 11:30 p.m., and on Saturday and Sunday mornings, the closure will end by 6 a.m.
- At this time, no closures are planned on Saturday nights (that is, from Saturday night to Sunday morning); however, this is subject to change with little or no notice. Updated information will be posted here when available.
- During each night’s closure, all lanes on Southbound I-5 will be closed at Empire Avenue. Detours will be posted.
- Southbound I-5 will reopen each morning before the morning commute.
- Lanes on Northbound I-5 will remain open each night.
- Some on-ramps and off-ramps also will be closed, starting about 9 p.m. each night, and ending by 6 a.m. each morning. Detours will be provided.
- Motorists on Southbound I-5 are advised to avoid delays by using another route such as the following options:
- BEST: Southbound I-405 (the San Diego Freeway) or
- Southbound State Route 170 (SR-170, the Hollywood Freeway) or
- Exit Southbound I-5 at Hollywood Way.
- NOTE: Exiting I-5 at Buena Vista Street or Empire Avenue/San Fernando Blvd is not recommended except for local traffic.
Northbound and Southbound I-5 Lane Closures: Intermittent northbound and southbound lane closures between 9 p.m. and 6 a.m., at times reducing I-5 to one or two lanes in either direction.
Long-term I-5 Ramp Closures at Burbank Boulevard: Long-term or permanent ramp closures are in effect at some on-ramps and off-ramps at Burbank Boulevard. Detours are posted. Only the following ramps at Burbank Boulevard are open, and they may be closed at times with a detour posted:
- The Northbound I-5 off-ramp to Eastbound Burbank Boulevard — Vehicles exiting I-5 must turn right and go east on Burbank Boulevard to San Fernando Boulevard. At times, this ramp may be closed due to construction, with a detour posted.
- The Southbound I-5 off-ramp to Westbound Burbank Boulevard — Vehicles exiting I-5 must turn right and go west on Burbank Boulevard to the intersection at Victory Boulevard. At times, this ramp may be closed due to construction, with a detour posted.
Long-term Closure of Burbank Boulevard at I-5: Burbank Boulevard is closed to through traffic in both directions between San Fernando Boulevard and Front Street. Detours are posted.
Street Lane Closures on Buena Vista Street: One or two lanes may be closed on Buena Vista Street between San Fernando Boulevard and the Northbound I-5 on- and off-ramps, on weekdays during the daytime. At least one lane in each direction on Buena Vista Street will remain open for traffic.
On- and Off-Ramp Closures and Street Lane Closures: Intermittent on- and off-ramp closures and street lane closures on San Fernando Boulevard, Burbank Boulevard and Buena Vista Street, either during the day or at night. Detours are posted.
The schedule is weather-permitting and subject to change.