This project is 93% complete.
Projected date of opening for the northbound I-5 Florence Ave. on and off ramps is extended to * March 2021.
Projected date of opening for the southbound I-5 Florence Ave. on ramp is extended to *March of 2021.
Also, please go to our Twitter page at twitter.com/My5LA for project updates.
- *Permanent closure to through traffic on Dollison Drive at Studebaker Road effective Tuesday, December 15.
- *Final striping of Florence Avenue between Studebaker Road and Orr & Day is complete.
- *Construction of concrete pedestrian crosswalks at interchange of Florence Avenue and Orr & Day is complete.
- *Construction of the median traffic barrier on I-5 south and north of the bridge is complete.
- *Construction of the median between the east end of the bridge and Orr & Day and between the west end of the bridge and Studebaker Road is complete.
- *Pouring of final 2-inch rubberized asphalt on the roadway surface between the east end of the bridge and Orr & Day and between the west end of the bridge and Studebaker Road is complete.
- *Installation of traffic sensor loops below the roadway surface and installation of a traffic signal at Orr & Day is complete.
- *Installation of traffic barrier on new southbound Florence on ramp completed Friday, January 8.
- *Installation of final safety fence on north side of bridge is complete.
- *Installation of 900 feet of guardrail on northbound Florence Avenue on ramp is complete.
- *The new crash cushion has been installed on the northbound Florence Avenue off ramp.
- Crews have been grinding and re-striping lanes on northbound & southbound I-5 between I-605 and Artesia Boulevard and shifting traffic lanes back towards the median. Striping should complete next week.
- Work on the Florence Avenue on ramp to southbound I-5 is complete. A piece of equipment called an Audio Pedestrian Signal was stolen and must be replaced before we can open the ramp.
- Still to complete: Installation of safety posts & signs at Dollison Drive cul-de-sacs at I-5 and Studebaker Road and at Dollison Drive and Fairford Drive.
- The city of Downey will be installing two more light standards at the Dollison Drive cul-de-sac east of Fairford Ave.
When striping is complete:
- Northbound there will be four all-purpose traffic lanes on I-5 from north of Valley View Ave. to the Florence Ave. Bridge. Then there will be three all purpose lanes, plus two auxiliary lanes connecting to the northbound and southbound I-605. Under the I-605 Bridge, I-5 will revert to four all-purpose lanes, plus a fifth auxiliary lane connecting traffic from I-605 to I-5. Then it will reduce again to four all-purpose lanes.
- Southbound there will be five lanes where traffic merges from the I-605 interchange until the Orr & Day railroad overhead. Then it will become four all-purpose lanes until south of Alondra Boulevard, where it will reduce to three lanes approaching the Valley View Avenue interchange project that remains under construction until early 2022.
When the Valley View Avenue Project is complete in early 2022, we will open the additional car pool / HOV (High Occupcancy Vehicle) lanes to traffic. At that time:
- On northbound I-5 there will be an HOV lane from Valley View Ave. to the Orr & Day railroad overhead.
- On southbound I-5 there will be an HOV lane from south of the Florence Ave. Bridge to Valley View Ave.
At the Florence Avenue interchange, traffic is now using four all-purpose lanes on I-5 in each direction. The northbound on ramp to I-5, the northbound off ramp from I-5, and the loop on ramp to southbound I-5 are almost ready to open to traffic. New palm trees have been added to the southbound loop on ramp as part of the landscaping. Aerial video & photos below:
Photos of new striping on I-5 at Florence Avenue and on Florence Ave. ramps at I-5 below: