Come Learn About the Progress Being Made on the I-5 Widening Project
WHAT: Caltrans is hosting the annual Community Open House for the I-5 Widening Project. Caltrans will provide a project update and you will have an opportunity to ask questions of the project team.
WHEN: Thursday, September 17, 2020, 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
WHERE: Due to COVID-19 guidelines, this will be a virtual (online) event only. It’s free and registration is simple and fast. Please register online at either:
You will receive a confirmation email with a link to access the webinar.
CONTACT: email Michael.Comeaux@dot.ca.gov or phone (213) 897-9372
Need an interpreter? Let us know by September 13. See contact information above.
Caltrans continues to improve I-5 in Burbank and Glendale between the Ventura Freeway (State Route 134) and Buena Vista Street. Improvements listed below are designed to enhance safety, improve traffic flow, reduce congestion, encourage ridesharing, and decrease surface street traffic:
- High-Occupancy Vehicle (HOV, or carpool) Lanes – Carpool lanes for vehicles with two or more people.
- Burbank Boulevard Bridge – The bridge over I-5 was demolished in April 2020 and is being replaced by a wider bridge with bike lanes in both directions and a wide sidewalk.
- Interchange Improvements – The new Empire Avenue interchange and on- and off-ramp improvements at multiple interchanges. Also, improvements at the intersection of San Fernando Boulevard and Lincoln Street.
- Grade Separation – Elevated railroad tracks at Buena Vista Street/San Fernando Boulevard and at the Empire Avenue interchange enhance safety by separating the levels at which streets, railroads, and pedestrians cross one another.
- Pavement Replacement – New concrete pavement in both directions on I-5 providing a smoother ride, extending the life of the roadway, and lessening the need for maintenance closures.
- Freeway Realignment – Improved sight distance for drivers on I-5 north of Burbank Boulevard.